Moving house can be incredibly stressful, and even more so if you are unprepared. By taking the time to plan for the move thoroughly, you can reduce the stress you are feeling and make for an easier moving experience. Here are out 10 top tips for getting ready to move to help you plan and prepare.
- Book a removal company: Moving companies get booked up quickly, especially on weekends, so book early to secure your date.
- Order boxes: Order some sturdy moving boxes either through your removals company or independently, as well as packing materials.
- Declutter: There is no sense in moving things you don’t need, so have a thorough clear out before you start packing.
- Measure: Measure up the new house, if you can, to ensure your existing furniture will fit. If it won’t you may want to consider selling some items before the moving day.
- Pack: Aim to pack just one box per day to avoid getting burned out. Start at the top of the house and work your way down.
- Eat your frozen food: Start running your freezer down as soon as you can.
- Notify: Notify all service providers, doctors, councils, schools and any other relevant organisations of your move.
- Make a note: Keep a note of anything you need to know about the new house, the old house and any numbers you might need. You will probably be without internet connection for a few days, so have everything written down just in case.
- Collect documents: Things like passports, insurance documents and other important paperwork should be collected into a separate folder to travel with you on moving day, not in the van.
- Plan for arrival: Plan to do nothing for a few days after getting to your new home. Many people move and then start their new jobs straight away, but this is only bound to cause more stress. Stay home and give yourself time to settle in before returning to work.